Sunday, August 26, 2007

To blog or not to blog... That is the question.




I know, I haven't posted for awhile. I'm trying to decide if I'm really a blog kind of person. I don't think I am. Here are a couple of my many reasons.

#1. I am innately a very private person. I don't like to talk about my personal life to just anyone. I've always been this way and that's why I've always had a fairly small group of friends. Who am I kidding? Besides my close girlfriends from childhood, I don't really claim any group. I only have a couple of individual friends that I've grown close to and feel comfortable with. Other than that, it's just my family...my dear close family that I need more and more the older I get. So, this privacy thing sort of limits what I want to write about, leaving this blog with a sort of impersonal small-talk feeling. Which leads me to...

#2. I hate small talk. It's exhausting and draining. Relationships never pan out for me unless they can cut through it pretty quick. I'm just not a weather/sports/whatcha up to these days kind of gal.

#3. I'm aware that I'm spending too much time these days sitting in front of screens... my computer, TV, Dallin's new Nintendo DS. I'm always complaining to myself that I don't have enough time for the things that I really want to be doing. When really, I think the problem is that I'm wasting so much time on media. I enjoy it, don't get me wrong, but I hate the power it has to just suck me in. I can't tell you how many mornings I saunter over to my computer just to check my email in my pjs with my cereal bowl in hand. The next thing I know, I'm trying to find things to occupy my children's time so I can continue to surf. Such a time suckage for me and I think it's time I start exercising a little more self-control.

Okay, so that's all I can think of right now. I just thought I needed to give a little explanation to why I seem to drop off the planet once in awhile. I'm not sure how long I will keep blogging. Just need a little break from all the noise in my life. Which leads to an interesting question. I would love to know how any of you cut out some of the noise in your lives. Doen't life need to be a little simpler? Any suggestions, please?

5 comments:

Jen said...

Mel, I am saddened by your thoughts to stop blogging. I have LOVED reading your blog, and learning more about your cute family and your daily happenings. I feel we're are finally back in touch after so many years. I understand your thoughts with blogging on so many levels. I am not sure how I will do with the whole blogging thing either. I am not one to sit down and pour myself out to a computer. However lately with my developing health problems, I feel a need to reconnect with those that have inspired me throughout the years-- you, of course, being one of those people. The women that I rub shoulders with on a daily basis don't know me on a very personal level, so it feels weird to share with them such personal things. And although I haven't seen or talked with you in years, I still feel that type of connection with you. I guess I have just missed you over the years. Have you considered making your blog private? I am considering going that route. Also, maybe set aside a specific time or time limit to blog (I choose gracie's nap time). I don't know if that helps. Talk to you soon

Heather said...

I'm with you Mel! I get sucked in to - way too much. I've been thinking lately that I need to just set up some time paramaters. I decided to start blogging for my family. I don't live near any of them, so I blog so they know what is going on with us. It has made the distance seem smaller for me. I'm not really sure how to make life more simple, I guess the best thing to do is just make a list of what is most important to you and eliminate the rest! I love your blog, I say make it private. Then you just email those you want included in it! It has been wonderful to catch up with you through your blog, you are wonderful and amazing and I'm glad to know where you and what you are doing!

Tirsa said...

I guess this is the "Jerusalem girls" comment section. I have really loved reading all of your blogs and since we all live so far apart, we don't really have a chance to get together like we used to. Its funny to me that all 4 of us met 11 years ago in Jerusalem and even though our lives took many different roads shortly after we got home, I still feel such a strong connection to you all. It is like being away in a foreign land for 6 months made us each other's family during that time and I still love you all though I hardly see you.

I have felt the same way about how much time I'm on the computer (I do some work from home on the computer too so it feels like a ton) but I feel good about my blog because I am turning it into a journal/scrapbook. I have started to print the pages and put them in a book. That way I don't feel like I am "wasting" so much time updating my blog. Now it is kind of like a family happenings journal and let's face it, I haven't been a good journaler or scrapbooker for years. I am happy to finally feel excited about an avenue other than scrapbooking and journal writing to record my family life events. And, I guess telling my personal stuff doesn't bother me that much. I hope the only people reading my blog are people that care about me.

Anyway, for what it is worth, I say "blog on!"

Amanda said...

Mel, I am a little more comfortable putting it all out there than you, but that's just me. I am with you completely, as is everyone, that blogging opens a whole new realm and it has to be tempered. It is addictive and definitely takes from other areas. I am forcing myself to only get online when my kids are in quiet time or in bed.

amy gretchen said...

I completely understand where you're coming from with blogging. I think you have to be careful as you can waste so much time not focusing on what really counts, like family. Blogging has brought something to my life I don't know that I would have found any other way. It has certainly taught me about myself the more real I have become, and the more willing I am to share has made me live my life fully. It has been a blessing (wonderful community) as long as I keep it in balance with what's the most important thing...my family.