Saturday, May 10, 2008

Because it's Mother's Day



Thirty two reasons why I love you, one for every year that you've been my mother.

1. Because you sniff your pillow every time you make your bed and you pack it in your suitcase everywhere you go.

2. Because for years you came on every backpacking trip with us, even though for you it probably wasn't fun since you did all the cooking.

3. Because you tucked me in at night, even sometimes as a teenager and always told me that I was special and truly loved while you scratched my back.

4. Because you let me drop out of pep club after only one month of hating it even though we had just paid for the whole year.

5. Because you took me out of school to get our haircuts together and go to lunch afterward. I felt so lucky.

6. Because in third grade, you started 'brown bagging' for my class. Every Wednesday if kids had finished a book, they could bring a lunch and eat in the classroom and tell the others about the book. I was able to come every Wednesday because I was your daughter and I felt very privileged.

7. Because you let me have sleepovers with Liz anytime we asked.

8. Because you rewarded me for being honest by not punishing me when I carved deep holes into our brand new wooden deck with my younger brothers.

9. Because you let me call you every week while I was in Jerusalem because I was homesick and needed to hear your voice. We would talk for over an hour and I know the bill was awful.

10. Because you always talked me through the dating dramas convincing me that I didn't realize how incredible I was and that I worthy of someone that was out there preparing himself for me.

11. Because you always kept the mentality that anything is possible. Your vision helped me get to Europe, UCLA, Jerusalem, and my MA degree.

12. Because you never made me turn out the light when I was reading into the wee hours of the morning.

13. Because you always let me sleep in your bed whenever Dad was gone for military or a conference.

14. Because you've always been my best shopping partner, lunch date, and phone call.

15. Because you didn't think I was completely insane when I knew I was in love, in the for real and for forever sense, after only three dates with Jamie.

16. Because you drove all the way to LA with me one afternoon to look at wedding dresses when I wasn't even officially engaged yet.

17. Because you share your most personal thoughts and feelings with me and know that they are safe.

18. Because you have taught me what being a great wife looks like, how to support your husband and put your marriage above all else. It's amazing how in love you and Dad still are after all these years.

19. Because of all the nights I could hear you giggling in your room as Dad walked around berating and making fun of himself. Oh, Dad. You're the best.

20. Because you came to every drill competition and dance performance I ever did.

21. Because when it came to high school romances, you knew I could do better.

22. Because you cried when my little family moved, but were so proud at the same time.

23. Because for every one of my children's birthdays you call to remind me of the special day that I gave birth to this child.

24. Because you love my children and love to hear every minute detail that I can remember to tell you about them.

25. Because you stay up till midnight watching cheesy movies like Pollyanna with me and cry at the same parts.

26. Because you've shown me how to serve others selflessly. When anything good happens to me, I want to call you and tell you about it because of how encouraging and giving you are. You make everyone feel good.

27. Because you drag yourself to the gym everday not because you think your ever going to obtain a model figure, but because you want to be healthy and feel good.

28. Because you never complained about Dad when we were kids and he was at the hospital. You would tell us at the dinner table how hard our Dad was working for us so that we could do our soccer/ballet/ski lessons. You taught us that he was a hero.

29. Because when you come to my house, you roll up your sleeves and dig in to the diaper-changing, meal-planning, laundry-sorting madness that is ours.

30. Because of how lovingly you cared for your parents these last ten years as they were aging and slowly unable to care for themselves.

31. Because you taught me about prayer. Even as a young girl, I remember the prayer I said every night. "Please bless that we can sell our lot so we can go to Disneyland." I didn't even know what the 'lot' was, just knew it needed to go.

32. Because to this day you are my mom and my best friend rolled into one perfect, 5'5" person. I'm so lucky to have you.

Happy Mother's Day, Mom




4 comments:

Heather said...

You are so sweet and I will agree, even though I don't know her very well - you do have a pretty great mom. I've rarely felt more welcome than I did at your parents house and I'm always reminded of your dad when I see 'Coyote' Pancake Mix and McIntosh toffee in Canada.

Rebecca said...

Mel, I loved this post! It was so fun to reminisce about our childhood as I read through your memories of your mom. I always loved spending time at your house growing up and have so many great memories of your mom. Happy Mother's Day!

Blaine and Tirsa said...

You are so lucky to have such an awesome relationship with your mom. This is truly something that I want to have with my kids and I will have to remember to get Bella out of school so we can go get our haircuts together and lunch afterwards. Love it!

Amanda said...

Beautiful post, Mel. I loved your mom growing up and interestingly, I remember her always taking you shopping and to hair appointments and was so jealous. Thanks, Janna, for the Chef Boyardee and the Hostess Donut gems. Thanks for all the sleep-overs and Sunday dinners in the dining room. Thanks for being such a wealth of good advice when we talked of boys and drama.
Love your mom, too, Mel.