Thursday, July 12, 2007

My Daughter

Just a few photos I took of lovely Malynn a couple of days ago. (The boys were protesting having their pictures taken). I've been enjoying watching her develop her own personality. She tries so earnestly to communicate and I'm surprised every day by how much I do understand her. Her hair is starting to grow a little and it's curly in the back. She walks fast and is very busy. She also loves to eat, loves her binky and blankie, and loves her mom (yeay).

Before I had any children, I secretly wanted boys. Honestly, I was a little afraid of having a daughter. For one, I grew up with only boys, so feel very comfortable around them. It seems around the age of 13, girls go into this weird alternate universe where they hate their mothers. I know most come out of it after a few years, but the thought of having someone rolling their eyes at me, treating me like I was the absolute, most ridiculous person that ever walked the planet, and giving me responses like, "You just don't understand me," gives me anxiety. Boys, with all their volume and rowdiness, just seem simpler. There is something about having a daughter that I didn't expect. The way she holds her hands, the way she smiles at me, the way she sighs when she puts her head on my shoulder... her femininity makes my heart sing. There is something special between a mother and a daughter. I look at her and I just get her. My boys, as much as I love them and their energy, just bewilder me. So, I'm grateful to have her and hope that she will always want to be close to me. But I am going to start now with the brainwashing that she can't turn psycho on me. Suggestions, anyone?








3 comments:

Heather said...

I am so with you on the girl thing. I am a little worried about he teenage years with Brooklynn too. Especially since I've been working with that Miamaids at church, they are so difficult! As far as the brainwashing, I'm not so sure, but I think good communication from now to forever may help limit the eye rolling. Maybe - if we are lucky!

Rebecca said...

Mel, Malynn is absolutely darling. And you are an amazing photographer! I am very impressed with the photos and your blog. Seriously, she is one of the cutest little girls I have ever seen.

Allie said...

Mel, you are so poetic! I love reading your blog, because you say and express yourself so well of what I can only feel, but not communicate. I am with you on the girl thing. Oh, how I love mine! My Mom used to make Angie and I promise that we would always be nice to her and stay best friends with her when we were teenagers. At the time, I was only 8 or 10, so I didn't see the problem. But, I always remember her plead to us.